Lead with your “best pitch.”
You don’t need a GPS to find your strengths. They live at the intersection of passion and talent.
It defies logic, but we human beings often become focused on our weaknesses and lack rather than our strengths and capabilities.
There’s a great quote from the 1987 series premiere of Star Trek the Next Generation. The Enterprise crew is on trial at the hands of the omnipotent advanced being Q. He accuses humanity of being “a savage child race.” He threatens to force humanity back to Earth and confine us there. Q has established a test for Captain Picard and a timeline for its achievement or else.
As Q badgers Picard, the stalwart captain finally tells his second-in-command, “If we’re going to be damned, let’s be damned for who we really are.”
I’ve always loved that quote. It’s similar to a baseball saying, “If you’re going to be beat me, you’re going to have to beat me on my best pitch.”
There’s a defiance in both quotes and a determination not to shy away from your best because it might not work. To extend the baseball metaphor, if you’re fastball’s your best pitch, why go through life throwing curve balls? Put your best foot forward. Lean on those things you’re best at and ride them all the way to victory. Even on those occasions when you lose, at least you did all you could.
Power hack: To make this tip work for you, do the following.
- Identify your strengths: If you don’t know your strengths, figure out what they are. They have a relatively easy address. Where your passion meets your talents, that’s where your strengths are. You may be passionate about something, but have no talent. That’s not a current strength. Conversely, you may be great at something but have no passion. That’s not a current strength.
- Give yourself credit: Stop doubting your strengths. Believe in them and where they can take you. You’re good at these things, damn good. Admit that and use them to your advantage.
- Throw your best pitch: If your fastball is your best pitch, throw fastballs. If your curve ball is your best pitch, throw curve balls. This gives you your best chance to succeed in life.
- Learn and regroup: Even going with your strengths, you won’t always win. A well-studied loss is worth a dozen mindless victories. Don’t move away from your strengths because you failed. Evaluate, recharge, and come back stronger. I’m on a sports theme today. Have you ever noticed how a young team rarely goes all the way to a championship right away? Often they have to go to the brink once or twice before they win the big prize. It’s not because they lack the talent the first time. It’s that they lack the experience. The moment became too big and talent wasn’t enough to overcome it.
When you lead with your passionate talents and combine it with experience, you can become an unstoppable force. If you spend your life throwing your second-best pitch, you’ll never know.
Stay inspired, my friends!
Looking for audio motivation to add to your playlist? Look no further. Checkout the downloads available on the TAS website.
Laugh more. It’s good for you!
Thought of the Day
At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
~ Jean Houston
Laugh, damn it, laugh! You’ve heard the saying that laughter is the best medicine. Think about it. When do you feel better than when you laugh?
Laughter is one of the few human experiences that can – at least for the moment – make us forget and transcend any problem. In the moment of laughter, sadness, depression, stress, and worry are reduced to zero. It stands to reason that the more we laugh the less we experience these negative feelings and emotions and, as we have talked about on this blog, positive vibrations are the basis for successful, happy action in the world.
Scientific research shows that laughter has an array of health benefits from stress reduction to a reduced risk of heart attack.
Laughter is a readily accessible transformational experience. It requires no practice or years of training. It’s available any moment and anywhere you choose. By finding the funny side of life, you not only raise your vibration, you raise the world’s because laughter is contagious. By spreading it, you’re spreading health and well-being to the people around you.
You might remember this viral video from about 10 years ago. It still makes me laugh and that’s good for me, good for you, and good for us.
My friends, I’m really trying to grow my YouTube channel in 2019. I’d be so appreciative, if you’d give it a look, and if you like what you see, please subscribe. Thank you so much for your support!
Be here now.
Today I harness the power of NOW to create all my tomorrows!
You are doing great! We are already up to the 18th day of our journey together.
Wisdom reminds us that NOW is all we have. Yet, we often live around it, ignore it, and leave it unattended on our flights of fancy into the future or our clinging to a past that’s now nothing but a dry river bed.
Whether they consciously know or not, happy and successful people are those who can right here right now. Now is where we can feel life, change life, and make a difference for ourselves and those around us.
I recorded this brief video about this concept last summer.
This one doesn’t take a extra work or effort. It simply requires conscious awareness – when you leave this moment – to breathe and come back to NOW.
Power hack: Blogger and coach, Catherine Beard, offers these 12 fantastic tips for being more present.
Stay inspired and have a great day, my friends!
I’ve been writing, recording, and using affirmations for many years. I’ve found that listening to affirmations in an audio format is the most effective way for me to add them to my busy schedule and get maximum benefit from them.
Affirmations are still among the most powerful ways to shift your mindset in positive ways. Yes! Action is required, but empowered thinking is still the fuel for the action.
Here are my tips using affirmations.
- Listen passively – have you ever had that experience where you didn’t think you were listening to the words of a song or a commercial and you suddenly know them? That’s how listening passively to audio affirmations works. You listen while you’re living your life. You may not think you’re listening, but your subconscious is. With enough repetition they become conscious.
- Listen meditatively – audio affirmations are great when used as a guided meditation. Listen consciously and with intent. Absorb and embody the words. Soon they become part of who you are.
- Add them to your workout playlist – workout time or running time can be personal development time. Sure, you like listening to your favorite music, but mix the affirmations in with the songs. Physical exertion is an amazing way to help the affirmation impact your consciousness.
- Listen in the morning – affirmations are an amazing way to start your day withe positive energy and vision. Listen to affirmations that inspire rather than talk radio that demotivates.
- When you need them – play your affirmations on the way to a sales call, an interview, while you work in the garden, or in the locker room before the big game. Power words right before you face a situation can power up your game!
- While you sleep – if your spouse or partner will allow you, listen to affirmations while you sleep. This is the unconscious working at its best. No conscious rejection. You’re simply letting better thoughts fill your mind.
I’ve been doing this for more than 25 years. I’ve seen these techniques work over and over again. If you need some affirmations to listen download MP3 from my growing library or listen to them on my YouTube Channel.
I’d love to hear your experiences and how this works for you!
Follow your bliss. Experience your bliss. Become your bliss.