The late Carl Sagan became a household name in the 1980s with his PBS series Cosmos. Johnny Carson made his “billions and billions” catchphrase famous. He wrote the book – Contact – that became my all-time favorite movie. He recorded the greeting from humanity on the gold record placed aboard the Voyager 2 spacecraft that now soars through interstellar space on a rendezvous with Alpha Centauri in 40,000 years or so.
Sagan was a man of science who understood the value of spirit as well. Picking from his many amazing quotes is a challenge. Here are four I hope will inspire your day.
Born August 6, 1911, Lucille Ball was a model, actress, and comedienne. She was the namesake of arguably TV’s first great show – I Love Lucy. She consciously broke barriers for women in the entertainment industry, becoming a studio head and decades-long fixture on American television.
Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.
I’m not funny. What I am is brave.
It’s a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.
I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.
The more things you do, the more you can do.
Today is another double down catch up day.
There can be no argument that most human aspirations, including yours and mine, have not failed because we were defeated , lacked skills, or lacked knowledge. The overwhelming majority of the dreams shattered in our lives died on the sword of inaction.
Your intentions were good. Your motivation was initially high. Then you allowed life to intervene. Time pressures forced you to keep setting your dream aside. You listened to the voices of the naysayers. Pretty soon your passion was gone, the moment was missed, and you piled that dream on the heap of other abandoned dreams.
THE most important part of achieving anything is to escape the gravity of the starting line. It keeps pulling you back into old habits and makes tomorrow your favorite word in the language. Soon the tomorrows become years and you find yourself living in the empty river bed of a dream that once flowed through you with the power of the spring melt.
Start! Just start. By starting, you’re ahead of at least 90 percent of other dreamers. By starting, you gain momentum that gets harder to sidetrack. By starting, you declare your intention to the universe.
Here are 15 amazing “Getting Started” quotes to get your engine going.
- Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. -Arthur Ashe
- Don’t let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. ~John Wooden
- The secret to getting ahead is to get started. -Mark Twain
- The wise one does at once what the fool does last. -Balthasar Gracian
- You can’t build a reputation on what you’re going to do. -Henry Ford
- You can’t plan for everything or you never get started in the first place. -Jim Butcher
- Don’t let perfectionism become an excuse for never getting started. -Marilu Henner
- Start by doing what is necessary; then do what’s possible; suddenly you’ll find yourself doing the impossible. -St. Francis of Assisi
- You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great. -Zig Ziglar
- The way to get started is to stop talking and start doing. -Walt Disney
- If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one. -Dolly Parton
- All glory comes from daring to begin. -Eugene F. Ware
- He has half the deed done who has made a beginning. -Horace
- How wonderful it is that nobody has to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. -Anne Frank
- To be old can be glorious, if one has not unlearned how to begin. -Martin Buber
Your greatest victories await your beginning. Begin now. As the saying goes, There’s no time like the present.
Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | One-time PayPal Donation
I believe every one of us is a born leader. It’s just that some people have tapped into that capability more than others. Don’t doubt it for a moment, though. If you choose to be a leader in the world or in some sphere of your life, you have it within you to be a great one.
Here are some leadership quotes I’ve coined and captured over the years. May they inspire you to be the leader you were born to be.
- You must be a credible leader before you can be an incredible leader. ~Ray Davis
- Leadership begins with service and a desire to succeed by helping others to succeed. ~Lolly Daskal
- Leadership is not a title or a position. Leadership is a mindset; a way of life. ~Ray Davis
- A man who wants to lead an orchestra must turn his back on the crowd. ~James Crook
- Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. ~Dwight Eisenhower
- Follow your compass and not your clock. ~Anne Moore
- A great leader does not have to be the smartest person in the room. He or she just needs to know who is. ~Ray Davis
- Leadership has a harder job to do than just choose sides. It must bring sides together.” ~Jesse Jackson
- One measure of leadership is the caliber of people who choose to follow you. ~Dennis A. Peer
- Leadership is about empathy. It is about having the ability to relate to and connect with people for the purpose of inspiring and empowering their lives. ~Oprah Winfrey
- In many organizations, there is a vaccuum where leadership is needed. Be courageous enough to step into that void. ~Ray Davis
- Leadership simply begins with the courage to be yourself. So everyone else can be, too. ~Tim Fargo
- Be the kind of leader that you would follow. ~Unknown
- Leadership is sometimes just a matter of being the one to fill the idea vacuum. ~Ray Davis
- If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re mot making decisions. ~ Catherine Cook
- People buy into a leader before they buy into the vision. ~John C. Maxwell
- In order to lead others, you must first know how to lead yourself. ~Julie Hutchison
- Leadership is not just what happens when you’re there, it’s what happens when you’re not. – Ken Blanchard
- Being positive in a negative situation isn’t naive. It’s leadership. ~Lori Moreno
- A star wants to see himself rise to the top. A leader wants to see those around him become stars. ~ Simon Sinek
There’s no shortage of need for leadership. Have the courage to claim your opportunities to lead.
Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Support Us