Good evening, my friends. The events of the past week have reminded us that Covid is not the only virus running through humanity. Inhumanity, selfishness, and ego also run rampant.
Vladimir Putin’s unjustifiable attack on Ukraine is horrific, but only the latest example of this kind of behavior among nations, especially those with lots of power.
Not only is horrible for the people of Ukraine, it’s a gut punch to species we could be and should be in 2022. There’s this fear that there’s not enough and I better get mine that ruins the minds of powerful men and wrecks nations and the world.
I got to thinking. What are the lessons we should have learned by now, but haven’t. I’m sure the list could be much longer. Here’s 11 than relate directly to the events of this week.
In times like this, it’s more important than ever to put your mind on your side.
11 Things We Should Know By Now
- War solves nothing. It just kills people.
- When you attack someone else’s country they don’t greet you as liberators.
- Peace is not just preferable. Peace should be an existential goal of our civilization.
- Big countries bullying little countries goes well at first and then turns destructive for the big country.
- When this war of aggression is over, we should not have decades of renewed Cold War over it. There’s nothing that serves the people of this planet less.
- Nuclear weapons are no longer a deterrent. They only give those who have them free reign to behave as they wish.
- Russia is not the first large country to attack a weaker nation based on crap evidence. Some of us need to sweep our own front porch.
- If we spent the money we spend on weapons on this planet on productive and aspirational things, this damn species might have a chance.
- Only love conquers hate. Only justice conquers injustice. There’s no path to peace. Peace is the path.
- Leaders bent on division and destruction and ego should not be leaders on this planet anymore.
- We are running out of time to learn these lessons and apply them.