“When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.”
Dr. Wayne Dyer was a world famous motivation expert and I consider him a mentor to me from afar. I was fortunate enough to see him speak live at Unity Temple on the Plaza in Kansas City in 1997.
His writings and teachings played a huge role in the turnaround I experienced in my life. Millions more agreed. He sold millions of books and spoke to sold out venues around the world. Later he became a highly successful mainstay of PBS fundraising drives.
Wayne had a unique way of taking deep spiritual and psychological principles and making them simple and easy to apply to our lives.
The following clip was taken from one of his numerous appearances on PBS over the years. He is discussing how we look for solutions to our internal situations in the outside world.
Power hack: Anais Nin offered a related thought. “We see the world not as it is, but as we are.”
You have, at any moment, the power to change the way you look at anything. There may be a voice in you that’s telling you, “I could never change the way I look at this or that.” At some point in time, you did choose how to look at that. You had no power then than you have now. You can, if you choose, change the way you see things. By doing so, the things you will see change.
Follow your bliss. Experience your bliss. Become your bliss.
Please visit the TAS website to find 30 fantastic Wayne Dyer quotes.
Don’t die with your music still inside of you.
One of my favorite moments in Spring is the first time I see and hear a cardinal sing. I love red and so I find cardinals to be stunning birds. The best thing, though, is their amazing song. I can’t get enough of it. I’d love to hear your song too!
The late Wayne Dyer often encouraged his listeners with this aphorism. I never heard Wayne say it, but I’ve always believed he was referring back to another proverb of indistinct origin. “A bird doesn’t sing because it has the answer, it sings because it has a song.
Did you know you have a song inside of you? I believe we all do. You may call it your bliss, your mission, your path. It’s that thing that we cannot imagine dying without having expressed, experienced, and shared. Yet, many of you reading this, have not blessed the world with your song.
“Well,” you might think, “No one really cares about my song. It won’t change the world or my situation.” Are you sure? Who among us knows how a word, a gesture, a thought from you might change everything?
Whether you “singing” your song would shift the world or just shift a moment, read the quote again. The reason for singing your song is not because your song is the answer, though it might be. The reason for singing your song is because you have a song and it’s what you’re here to do. You won’t feel complete until you pipe up. So, pipe up!
It doesn’t have to be the most beautiful song or the most profound. It only needs to be the contribution you came here to make.
No pressure, but it’s time to start singing!
Have a fantastic and song-filled day!
Have the weed’s mentality. Grow under any circumstances.
Good morning, friends. I just want to take a moment to say THANK YOU for reading these messages each day! It is my highest desire that you’ll take something valuable each day from them and that, if they help you, you’ll share them with your friends.
Today’s life hack is be resilient. Ok, all the gurus are saying we need to be more resilient, but how do you do it?
Here are practical things you can do to be more resilient.
- Opinions – have you noticed? Everyone has one, especially when it comes to you and your dreams. Wayne Dyer used to say, “Free yourself from the good opinion of others.” Rachel Hollis reminds her audience that the people with all those opinions won’t be around to live the life you don’t have because you let their opinions stop you. Get over other peoples’ opinions.
- Make lemonade – it’s old advice, but sagely advice. The results are in. Life is not always going to go your way. Things change, people change, bad things even happen to good people. Life will hand you the proverbial lemons. When that happens, make some lemonade from them. The alternative is to let the taste of those lemons sour your life. That’s not who you are!
- Higher purpose – these moments that can take you down for the count are the biggest reason you need a bigger life’s mission – a definite purpose – as we discussed a few days ago. Without it, all the bumps in the road will soon leave you in the ditch of life. With it, they seem like small speed bumps on the road to your Nirvana. Stay focused on your big picture.
- What lies within you – Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, “What lies behind us and what lies before us ate tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” Remember who you truly are. You are not this temporary setback. You a hero on a hero’s journey meant for greatness. You are a one-in-a-trillion miracle indispensable to the successful operation of the universe in this moment. You are a force of nature that can’t – that won’t – be stopped.
- The experts said – this is similar to the first one, but even more important. You might be able to dismiss the opinion of people you know because what do they know? But, many get stopped in their tracks at the moment of setback because they start listening to all the experts. The train, the television, the Internet, Michael Jordan as a basketball player, Mickey Mouse as a good idea, the Colonel’s original recipe chicken are just a few examples of things the experts said would never work. I’m not counseling against taking good advice. I am saying that if you have a definite purpose and a burning desire to achieve it, don’t let the experts get in your ear at a moment of setback. They’ve been wrong many, many times. Every amazing breakthrough had had a chorus of naysayers jeering it along. Yours may just be the next great example of the experts being wrong.
- Affirmations, Affirmations, Affirmations – when your mind turns against you, turn it back. It does work for you, you know. Change your mind by changing your thinking. Everyone from Jesus to Buddha to the latest YouTube motivation sensation has said it in one form or another. Your thoughts become you. If you want to change yourself, change your situation, or change your life, change thoughts. Your thoughts are the greatest creative force at your disposal. Power them up in your moment of setback.
One of my all-time favorite quotes is by professor of medicine and promoter of meditation for stress relief, Jon Kabat Zinn. “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.”
Grab a board! Life won’t stop coming and neither should we!
If you enjoy these posts, you’ll find tons more motivational content on the TAS website and YouTube channel.