If we’re being honest, no two people have exactly the same concept of truth. There may be overlap with other people and overlaps may be significant enough to coalesce into a religion, a political party, or some other social institution.
Still, the gap between people on truth leaves us like the blind men and the elephant in the famous story. We are left describing aspects of truth without being able to fully define it for ourselves, much less sync with someone else. Discovering our truth is the work of a lifetime.
Our passion for our version of the truth is well-documented. Humans are willing to blast each other on social media or “bomb others back to the Stone Age” over our incomplete versions of truth.
Philosophers, poets, and sages, including yours truly, have tried to describe its ephemeral nature using the inexact tool of language. Here are some truths about truths. May they aid you in triangulating your truth.
- Beauty is truth, truth beauty,’ – that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know. ~John Keats
- Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true. ~Swami Vivekananda
- The truth will set you free. ~Jesus
- The truth is out there, but the path to it is inside you. ~Ray Davis
- Truth never damages a cause that is just. ~Mahatma Gandhi
- What I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we have. ~Oprah Winfrey
- Truth without love is brutality, and love without truth is hypocrisy. ~Warren Wiersbe
- But I suppose the most revolutionary act one can engage in is… to tell the truth. ~Howard Zinn
- Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true. ~Robert Brault
- Once you reject fear, you will become the perfect candidate to receive and reflect Truth. ~Suzy Kassem
- Those who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. ~Confucius
- Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away. ~Elvis Presley
- First and last, what is demanded of genius is love of truth. ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- The truth is effortless. ~Rashida Costa
- Truth is the property of no individual but is the treasure of all men. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
- In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. ~George Orwell
- Once you go inside and weed through the muck, you will find the real beauty, the truth about yourself. ~Lindsay Wagner
- Truth isn’t always beauty, but the hunger for it is. ~Nadine Gordiner
- Humility is truth. ~Mother Teresa
- Three things cannot long be hidden – the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~Buddha
May your pursuit of truth today lead you to greater insight into yourself and the world.