Feed the hero within
When I feel helpless I remember I AM powerful. When I feel weak I remember I AM strong!
In yesterday’s post, I shared 10 empowering ideas that, if absorbed and applied, could make a huge difference in your life. Today we going deeper on bullet four from that list – the hero I am waiting for is waiting for me in the mirror.
Ok, it’s clever, but what does it mean and how do you become the hero in your life?
Some may see it as cliche to talk in terms of the hero within. After all, we have a tendency to overuse words like hero and dilute their meaning. However, I really want you to embrace this idea that a hero lives within you. Every person reading this is disguised all day like Clark Kent just waiting for your phone booth moment to arrive.
We are inundated by the idea that soldiers, firefighters, and police officers are heroes. No question, they are heroes. Yet, I would argue that the seeds of heroism lie within each of us. The single parent raising several successful children is a hero. The person who works for peace daily is a hero. The person who shares a kind word with someone who needs it is a hero too.
Here are eight characteristics of a hero to help you see the moments in your life when you are or can become one.
- The hero’s work may be great or small. It does not always change the world. Sometimes it just changes the moment.
- The hero’s work is everywhere he or she goes all day long. The hero is always looking for those phone booth moments to step forward and shine.
- The hero may deserve or even get the credit, but the hero does not do it for the credit. The hero does it because it contributes to the greater good.
- The hero puts the good of the team ahead of his or her own good.
- The hero sees beyond appearances and gets to what is real and true; choosing to live there.
- The hero knows his or her work is bigger than self.
- The hero knows that criticism and blame comes with the territory and is careful never to associate himself or herself with either.
- You are a hero. Plain and simple, you are. Let that part of you come to the surface at every opportunity.
The hero you are waiting for IS waiting for you in the mirror.
Follow your bliss. Experience your bliss. Become your bliss!