Check Out Our Cool New Affirmation Apps:
Check out our new affirmation apps for Apple devices or search i-mobilize on the iTunes store. The Affirmation Spot is developing these motivation apps in partnership with i-mobilize. Click an app to view it – Love Magnet, Sales Booster, Confidence Affirmation, or Full Body Scan.
There are as many definitions of success as there are people. Many people see success as status or financial abundance. While others see it as feeling happy or living in peace. What does success or successful mean to you? I recently asked this question on Twitter and here were some of the responses I received.
Success: Emotional state achieved when PERSONAL, not external, dreams/goals materialize.
Success: waking up everyday excited abt wht i’m doing whether its work, kids, networking or just having fun 4 the day!
Success: To learn from failure.
Success: Living in alignment with my values, enjoying every day!
Success: autonomy belonging contribution solitude delight challenge display creativity diligence curiosity articulation integrity.
Success: achieving your goals, no matter how small.
I’d love to hear your definition of success. Leave a comment to share what success means to you.
“I am absolutely committed to being the person I came here to be!”
(click to hear it)
“Recession proof…I have the skills and the confidence to compete in a tough economy.”
Today I am looking for some feedback from you. The United States elected Barack Obama as its next president on Tuesday. Now What?
Leave a comment to share your hopes and concerns about the new administration. What do you think are the potential positives about the new administration? What gives you concern? What would you like to see the new president address in his first term?
Most importantly, how do we use this moment to re-empower ourselves as citizens and human beings?
True leadership is more than a combination of experience and charisma. It is the ability to project a positive vision for the future on the consciousness of the people. I am conducting a poll to see who you think is doing the best job of that.
The poll runs now through election day. The purpose of the poll is to determine who you think is the most positive or inspirational candidate running for US President this year.
It does not have to be the person you actually plan to vote for. I’d also welcome comments on the blog to explain why you believe this candidate is the most positive or inspirational.
Click below to cast your vote.
Cast Your Vote Now
Current Results (as of October 15)
A new report to be published in the July issue of Perspectives in Psychological Science and reported on LiveScience.com shows that the world is becoming a happier place. The study measured happiness over a 17-year period in 52 countries around the world.
350,000 participants answered two questions:
- “Taking all things together, would you say you are very happy, rather happy, not very happy, not at all happy?”
- “All things considered, how satisfied are you with your life as a whole these days?”
Scores rose in 40 countries and fell in 12 during a period spanning from 1981 to 2007. Denmark ranked as the happiest country with Zimbabwe bringing up the rear. The United States ranked 16th in the survey.
A recent Pew Research survey showed that American baby boomers (ages 44-62) were markedly less happy than other Americans. The report cites pressures in their current lives and worries about retirement as the primary concerns.
So is there a process to improve your outlook and find more happiness?
Your Thought Filter is the Key to Happiness
The following diagram shows how life’s raw materials (inputs) become our experience of life. Your thoughts are the critical crossroads where the life you experience is determined. Your thoughts are the filter for your experiences.
- Inputs – we all receive inputs every day. Inputs are the raw material we have to work with in our lives. They are not necessarily good or bad. We receive information, we are exposed to events, we live in circumstances. We can take some steps to control the inputs or make them more positive. However, we are going to have inputs and some of them are beyond our control.
- Thoughts – your thoughts are the critical crossroad where the life your experience is determined. Your thoughts filter your experiences converting them into positive or negative feelings and words. You have three choices on how to filter information at the thought level:
- Monitor and adjust your thoughts about the inputs (empowered/mindful approach).
- Choose auto-pilot approach where you allow inputs to pass through and become feelings, words, actions, and your life without much thought (mindless approach).
- Look to others for answers approach is the method where you rely on others to explain your inputs and give meaning to them (disempowered approach).
- Feelings/Words – feelings and words are the outputs of the thought filter. They create the energy that turns into action or even inaction your life. Your feelings and your words are driven by the thinking that is filtering your inputs. When you have created a positive grounding for them they generate positive, motivated action that creates success and fulfillment in life. When you have created a negative grounding with your thought filter you generate motivation for inaction, negative action, or destructive behavior.
- Actions – actions/inactions create results in the world. Actions are movement. They can be positive or negative and they create results in the world. The results that you receive from your actions/inactions create the life you experience. However, these actions were largely decided at the thought stage of the process.
- Experience of Life – life experience is the habit of the results created through this process. Over time, it solifies into belief and expectations about what is possible or impossible for you. Success, as they say, breeds success. That’s because success came from successful thoughts, feelings, words, and actions. Failure breeds failure. People are failures because they are incapable or unskilled, but because they have not mastered or understood this process.
The Boomers who are unhappy in this survey are letting the inputs (many objectively negative) create their life experiences. They are not empowering themselves using their thought filter.
What does all this mean? It means that if you can monitor and adjust your thinking about the world and keep it focused on a positive way forward you can create the life you want. Not a perfect life, but an improved life.
There are many techniques for monitoring and adjustmenting your thinking – focused prayer and meditation, quiet thinking, affirmations, and others. Use whatever tools that work for you, but changing your thoughts changes your life.
Download 2 Affirmations, Get 1 Free!
Take your positive thoughts with you wherever you go. During the month of March Download any two mp3 affirmations from The Affirmation Spot.com and get a third mp3 affirmation free. There are no limits! Simply type the word “blog” into the coupon field at checkout. Thanks for getting your audio affirmations at The Affirmation Spot! Click here to view, hear excerpts, or download affirmations.
Today’s featured affirmation is:
“I am a great basketball player and getting better and better each and every day.”
Hear an audio mp3 version of this affirmation right now.
Who is your final four in the Mens’ NCAA Basketball tournament? Leave your comment below.
Today’s question is:
Here’s one for the basketball fans. March Madness is upon us. As University of Kansas graduate, I’m a bit bias.However, I’m curious:
Which teams deserve the four #1 seeds in the upcoming Mens’ NCAA Basketball Tournament?
Here are the choices. However, feel free to add your own. Leave your comment to vote on your four teams.
North Carolina Tarheels
Duke Blue Devils
Going into tournament weekend, which teams are your top seeds?
Vote for your favorites by leaving a comment.
Be peaceful Be prosperous!
The Affirmation Spot.com
Spread the word about this blog entry:
Add to Delicious Digg It
Add me as a friend:
Link to this blog entry:
The tracback url for this blog is: https://theaffirmationspot.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/ncaa-mens-basketball-top-seeds-the-affirmation-spot-for-saturday-march-15-2008/
About four weeks ago, I began taking an unscientific poll asking readers a political question not being posed in the myriad of professional political polls being conducted right now.
The question was:
Which major presidential candidate do you believe has the most positive message for America in 2008 and why?
Here are the results to-date. Please note that I began the poll before the slew of recent withdrawls. Nonetheless, the results are somewhat surprising for two of the five candidates still in this race.
Candidate with the most positive message:
Barack Obama 43%
Ron Paul 21%
Mike Huckabee 12%
Hillary Clinton 6%
John Edwards 6%
Mitt Romney 6%
John McCain 3%
Rudy Guiliani 0%
As to the question of why the selected candidate is the most positive in this year’s campaign.
If you’d like to add your voice to this discussion, click the following link to take the poll.
Take the positive presidential poll
Take a hypothetical presidential election poll
Visit The Affirmation Spot.com
Spread the word about this blog entry:
Add to Delicious Digg It
Link to this blog entry:
The tracback url for this blog is: https://theaffirmationspot.wordpress.com/2008/02/19/positive-political-poll-update-the-affirmation-spot/2008/