The late Carl Sagan became a household name in the 1980s with his PBS series Cosmos. Johnny Carson made his “billions and billions” catchphrase famous. He wrote the book – Contact – that became my all-time favorite movie. He recorded the greeting from humanity on the gold record placed aboard the Voyager 2 spacecraft that now soars through interstellar space on a rendezvous with Alpha Centauri in 40,000 years or so.
Sagan was a man of science who understood the value of spirit as well. Picking from his many amazing quotes is a challenge. Here are four I hope will inspire your day.
Despite his famous deadpan delivery, Carl Sagan left a number of quite motivational quotes. Here are a few of them to close out your day. Tomorrow is NEW day…a chance to dream NEW dreams!
- You’re an interesting species. An interesting mix. You’re capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you’re not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we’ve found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other. (from his book Contact)
- Imagination will often carry us off to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
- We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself.
- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
- Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.
- We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.
- The universe is a pretty big place. If it’s just us, seems like an awful waste of space.
- For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
- If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Sleep well, my friends!