You might remember this photo finish back in the 2008 Olympics between American swimmer Michael Phelps and Serbian Milorad Cavic.
Watching the Olympics really highlights the narrow margin between greatness and near greatness when it comes to sports and life. But for a 1/100th of a second here or an extra step there, the winners and the “almosts” would be quite different. The message is that the margin of victory is small, but opportunities for success are many.
As I pointed out in one recent post, I really believe we are in a race of one. The world may appoint one person the “winner” and someone else the “loser”; but we really are in a pursuit of own highest potential. Winners and losers are an administrative detail.
Someone who works hard for years towards a goal is not a loser by any measure. They may not be labeled winner or victor, but they are an unqualified success.
There are many, many things that contribute to success. However, they can be broken down into five key ingredients that repeatedly create success.
- Talent – talent in a particular endeavor really is a baseline for success in that field. That’s not to say that you cannot derive satisfaction and happiness from painting even though you’ll never be Monet. You most certainly can! However, if your goal is success in a pursuit, it’s best to start with where your talent lies. Talent can be natural or developed.
- Motivation – all the talent in the world is nowhere without the motivation to develop it and advance it to a superior level. Motivation is a lot about excelling the talent and being willing to do the hard work. It’s also the mental part of the equation. Motivation is all about your thinking.
- Hard work – even in the age of electronic communication, social networking, and global media there is still no substitute for hard work. Success comes to talented, motivated, hard workers.
- A little help from your friends – it’s easy to see how this works in a team sport. A football team cannot win without a quarterback, offensive tackles, linebackers, punters, etc. Really, though, most high-level endeavors in life are a team effort. These Olympians we see winning medals have coaches, massage therapists, sponsors, and others that make it possible for them stand on that platform.
- Luck – there may be five really great sales professionals in a company, but only one is the top. Two great teams meet in The World Series every year, but only one great team becomes world champion. Sometimes you can have other four factors and it comes down to the way a ball bounces. Luck can be the deciding factor between individuals or teams that have done the other four. However, luck is overrated by many people who see all success as luck. It rarely is. Many people give up when luck goes against them. The key is to start right back with the motivation and start the process again. You were not the top sales person this time, but you can be next time. You can lose the Super Bowl by inches, but start again at training camp with the goal to get there again.
Follow your bliss. Experience your bliss. Become your bliss.
Ray Davis is the founder of The Affirmation Spot and an advocate for the potential of the human race. He’s the author of the breakthrough novel Anunnaki Awakening: Revelation – order your signed copy today at AATrilogy.com
Anunnaki Awakening: Revelation is turning heads and opening minds. Humanity’s past is checkered, secret, and dangerous.
White House Correspondent Maria Love is on to the story of her life and with the help of an Anunnaki leaders seeks to unravel and reveal history’s biggest conspiracy. The Awakening has begun!
“An entrepreneur tends to bite off a little more than he can chew hoping he’ll quickly learn how to chew it.”
~ Roy Ash, Co-founder Litton Industries
A hundred years ago many of our ancestors were business owners – entrepreneurs, craftsmen, farmers, or professionals. Slowly, we began transition into a society of corporate employees. By the 1980s, Wal-Mart was putting the final nail in the coffin of main street small businesses and we became largely a corporate culture.
Then the Internet was born and there was a resurgence in entrepreneurship. That trend found new meaning as the world sunk into a global depression in 2008. Today more and more people are connecting with their entrepreneurial roots and realizing that their future and their financial security relies on their own efforts. Fewer and fewer people are willing to put their fates in the hands of institutions, including corporations.
We won’t see the end of cube farms any time soon, but everyday more people are waking up to the power within them to control their own destiny.
These affirmations are for the people who get up every day, bite off more than they can chew, and make it work.
- I understand my customers’ needs and I meet them. I understand my customers’ expectations and I exceed them!
- I am a visionary! I see trends well ahead of the competition.
- Day by day, I am building the foundation of long-term business success!
- My formula for success is in place. Now I am all about execute, execute, execute!
- A successful business person lives within me and today that person is running my business!
- I believe in my idea and I know I can bring it market successfully!
- I am in the right business at the right time with the right message! Today I capitalize!
- Day by day, my business and I are growing and learning together!
- Today and every day, my business generates an ever-growing revenue stream!
- I trust my talents! I trust my instincts! I grow my business with determination and integrity.
- Today I am attracting new customers from unexpected sources!
- Today I remember there is more to business than the bottom line!
- Knowledge is a commodity. It is innovation and imagination that will set me apart from my competition.
- Day by day, I am proving myself to be an expert in my field!
- (Your business) is my passion and I know sharing that passion with others brings me success!
- Today and every day, my business grows and thrives!
- Those who need my services are on their way to using them. I am thankful for the opportunity to serve them.
- Today I am molding my business into an unqualified success.
- I am flawlessly executing my business plan and I am succeeding brilliantly!
- Today my business has more satisfied customers than ever before!
- Excellence is my personal brand! My commitment to it is unwavering!
- My top-notch vision drives my bottom-line success!
- My business is on a roll! This is my breakthrough year!
- I am a thought leader in my industry. I’m always innovating for success!
- Today I model success with integrity in every business interaction.
- The success of my business rests on relationships. Today I am building strong relationships!
- Right now I am attracting clients that will be my foundation for growth well into the future.
- Today I am building a business that will one day allow me to walk the beaches of the world!
- Today my talents and my products combine to create a successful business!
- My business succeeds as much as my mind allows. Today I am open and ready for BIG success!
- The best business plan I can have is to be totally myself. Today I AM!
- My business success is accelerating to heights I only dreamed of.
- I am a brilliant, successful business person.
Follow your bliss! Experience your bliss! Become your bliss!
Ray Davis is the founder of The Affirmation Spot. He’s been studying and practicing personal development for 30 years. He’s also studied many of the world’s spiritual traditions and mythologies.
Find more TAS motivational content.
Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter