My world is what I make of it and I choose to make it a compassionate place to be!
Has the world gone nuts? It seems so some days. Thankfully, you need not wait for change to occur in the world. You can start right now to create a more sane and compassionate world in the ways you touch it.
The simple things are still the recipe for greater happiness.
- Treat others with kindness even when they don’t return the favor.
- Only use what you need.
- Maintain a measure of mindfulness with regard to your thoughts and activities.
- Join with others who share your hope for a better, more evolved world and take the first steps today.
- Smile, lighten up, have fun, and enjoy your life on this beautiful world and in this marvelous Universe.
Take the Ten Commandments, The Golden Rule, the Five Precepts of Buddhism, or other ageless tenets and try living by them. Not under the commandment of any God, religious organization, or out of fear of punishment, but out of a recognition that they make rational sense and create a better world.
The philosophy you hold – Christian, Buddhist, Jew, Muslim, Hindu – is not what is ultimately important. What is important is being the most ethical, compassionate Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jew, or Buddhist you can be and the world will be a better place for it.
During his 1989 visit to Los Angeles, The Dalai Lama said, “We don’t need temple, we don’t big Cathedral. We need warmth of heart. We, each of us, have a responsibility to shape the future of humanity. So let us try and contribute as much as we can.”
You have the power right now to do the good that you see needs doing in the world. Certainly, collective action by a group is important, but your actions or inactions in your life today affect the world around you in big ways. Never underestimate yourself and your power to influence things.
- If someone cuts you off in traffic, don’t respond with anger that puts negative energy out into the universe. That helps.
- Not giving in to your own prejudices and weaknesses that contribute the problems in the world. That helps.
- Going out of your way to be friendly to a stranger just because. That helps.
There is no end to what you can do that will make the world a better place.
The problems we face in the world are a result of our interpersonal conflicts and our own internal conflicts projected out onto the world. If you do not address the anger and fear you feel in your own heart you will only be bandaging the problems of the world.
With just a little effort today, you can make all the difference!
In case no one else has told you today, you’re AWESOME!