If we’re being honest, no two people have exactly the same concept of truth. There may be overlap with other people and overlaps may be significant enough to coalesce into a religion, a political party, or some other social institution.
Still, the gap between people on truth leaves us like the blind men and the elephant in the famous story. We are left describing aspects of truth without being able to fully define it for ourselves, much less sync with someone else. Discovering our truth is the work of a lifetime.
Our passion for our version of the truth is well-documented. Humans are willing to blast each other on social media or “bomb others back to the Stone Age” over our incomplete versions of truth.
Philosophers, poets, and sages, including yours truly, have tried to describe its ephemeral nature using the inexact tool of language. Here are some truths about truths. May they aid you in triangulating your truth.
- Beauty is truth, truth beauty,’ – that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
- Truth can be stated in a thousand different ways, yet each one can be true.
- The truth will set you free.
- The truth is out there, but the path to it is inside you.
- Truth never damages a cause that is just.
- What I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we have.
- Truth without love is brutality, and love without truth is hypocrisy.
- But I suppose the most revolutionary act one can engage in is… to tell the truth.
- Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
- Once you reject fear, you will become the perfect candidate to receive and reflect Truth.
- Those who know the truth are not equal to those who love it.
- Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away.
- First and last, what is demanded of genius is love of truth.
~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- The truth is effortless.
- Truth is the property of no individual but is the treasure of all men. ~
- In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- Once you go inside and weed through the muck, you will find the real beauty, the truth about yourself.
- Truth isn’t always beauty, but the hunger for it is.
- Humility is truth.
- Three things cannot long be hidden – the sun, the moon, and the truth.
May your pursuit of truth today lead you to greater insight into yourself and the world.