Success is the process of overcoming all your buts.
Is your mind ever a BUT machine? I want to pursue that dream BUT. I want ask her out BUT. I want to stick to my budget BUT. I want world peace BUT.
Whatever comes after your BUT is the thinking you must overcome to change your outcome.
- BUT I don’t have the time.
- BUT she’d never go out with me.
- BUT I want that new iPad.
- BUT that could never happen.
Power hack: Challenge your BUTs.
- Ask whether your BUT is really true.
- Ask why it’s true.
- Ask for proof it’s true.
- Is it a matter of ability or will?
- Can you think of examples in your past when a similar thought turned out not to be true?
- Are you willing get something now instead of something better later?
- Which is more important – your BUT or what you want?
Usually, you’ll find your BUT is not as real or substantive as you thought.
Is it true you don’t have you don’t have time to build your dream or are you just not prioritizing your time? Is it true she would never go out with someone like you or is that just you beating yourself up? Do you REALLY need an iPad right now or can you choose to stay on your budget and take that nice vacation next year?
At the end of the day, these BUTs are gifts. They pop up almost automatically and tell us exactly what we need to overcome to see our big goals through to completion.
Find the inspiration all around you today!
Today is Day 1 of my 10-day soda detox. I hope you’re joining me in giving up something you know you should do less of. I’m craving those bubbles, but hanging tough and drinking lots of water!