Even in challenging times, I AM strong! Even in challenging times, I AM grateful for my opportunities!
We live in challenging economic and environmental times. Many millions of people are or will be impacted by what is going on in the Gulf of Mexico right now. Some economists are now projecting a double-dip recession. Mentally, this can weigh on all of us consciously or subconsciously.
Yet, you still have much to be thankful for – your spouse, children, grandchildren, your health, your job, or even food on the table. Even if you have none of those things, you have life and the opportunity to grow and to change. That is a the greatest blessing of all and everyone has that.
Here are five simple principles of gratitude that help you achieve it.
- Acceptance – we may not always like the way things are. We may want to change them. Acceptance is not acquiescence. However, to feel gratitude, we must learn to accept what is in this moment. It does not mean giving up on the change we hope to create, but rather surrendering to what is at this moment.
- Appreciation – we experience more gratitude when we take the time to more fully appreciate the people around us and the many blessings that come into our lives. If you feel a lack of gratitude, things to be thankful for are right there for the remembering. (58 Things to be Thankful For)
- Giving Back – we often feel gratitude when we receive. However, the reciprocal nature of giving and receiving promises that the more we give the more we will receive. By giving, we are setting ourselves up for more opportunities for gratitude in our lives.
- Honesty – gratitude is definitely one of the most sincere, authentic emotions we can experience. There is nothing phony or contrived about true gratitude. It is a feeling of connection and genuine love for our time here on Earth.
- Happiness – Happiness and gratitude are inseparable twins. It’s almost impossible to be happy without a sense of gratitude and certainly gratitude breeds happiness. If you want to feel more gratitude, be more happy. If you want to be happier, try a little more gratitude.
Stay inspired and be thankful!
Ray Davis is the founder of The Affirmation Spot.
His 2015 speculative fiction novel, Anunnaki Awakening: Revelation, is turning heads. Where did humanity really come from and where is it going? This is Book 1 of a trilogy. The Awakening has begun!
Learn more about the trilogy and order your signed copy today at AATrilogy.com.