“I am working consciously toward a greater opening of my heart and my mind.” (click to hear it now)
Some of you may have seen The Rules for Being Human before. For others, this may be new. This humorous and down-to-earth manual is very practical and full of wisdom when looked at deeply. As far as I know, this originated in the hard copy of The Spiritual sometime in the 1990s.
The Rules for Being Human
- You will receive a body – You may like or hate it, but it will be yours for the entire period this time around.
- You will learn lessons – You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think them irrelevant and stupid.
- There are no mistakes only lessons – Growth is a process of trial and error; experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately “works”.
- A lesson is repeated until it is learned – A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson.
- Learning lessons does not end – There is no part of life that does not contain its lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
- “There” is no better than “here” – When your “there” has become “here”, you will simply obtain another “there” that will look better than “here”.
- Others are merely mirrors of you – You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself.
- What you make of your life is up to you – You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
Read this several times and give it some thought. The wisdom is obvious, but what if you really chose to look at your life this way? How much more patient would you be with yourself and others knowing they are going through the same thing.